Summer Vacation Assignment
(The Assignment is printed on both the sides of page 1 and on one side of page 2)
Class : III (Session 2015-2016)
Summer Vacation has started and you must be ready for fun, frolic, getting up late in the morning, playing for long hours with friends, going for picnics, travelling and exploring new cities/ countries. Apart from this, it will be great if you are able to find time to visit museums & monuments, learn new things, explore new areas near your house, play indoor & outdoor games, read as many story books as you can, spend time with parents & grandparents, go for morning walk & play in your locality park in the evenings.
Children, you should be regular in reading books. Reading will not only help you become a better student, but a better person too. Remember, reading different types of books e.g. short stories/ fiction/ journeys/ autobiographies/ biographies etc. not only fill our mind with knowledge, but also inspire thought & reflection.
You must remember, the more you read, the more words you gain, which will inevitably make their way into your everyday vocabulary.
To enhance your General Awareness and information about the Current Affairs, you must read the newspaper daily and watch news on TV regularly.
Current Affairs will be discussed in the class after Summer Vacation. Also revise your General Awareness Sheets.
Read the stories from your Value Education book ‘Yes We Can’.
Make a badge:
· You need a piece of cardboard, unused wrapping paper, sketch pens, glitter, glue and a pair of scissors.
· Take your parent’s help to cut out a disc from the cardboard. Cover it with a wrapping paper.
· Write any one value as ‘Help the needy’, ‘Care for the old’ etc on the disc.
· Decorate it with glitter. ·
You must wear this badge in the first week after the vacation is over.
Subject: English (Class - III)
· Read books of your choice and enrich your vocabulary for the Spell Bee selection rounds.
· Make a word chain. The last two letters of the word should form the first two letters of the next word. For example : Metal – Almost – Stranger – Eruption and so on. Form a chain of 20 new words. Do this work on the double line sheets provided. The words should be as per your class level.
* Over a period of 1 month, collect at least 5 things that mean something special to you. The
things you collect could be anything for e.g. a ticket stub or an eraser that is shaped like your favourite super hero. Now, on an A-4 size Norway sheet, write down about each item you collected and state why it is special to you.
Subject: Science (Class - III)
Each one of us has the responsibility to ensure that pollution is kept to a minimum. Simple steps such as opting to walk/ cycle to places close by, planting saplings, not using plastic bags, etc. can go a long way in making our city clean and a better place to live in. Think of any five solutions to keep your city clean. Write them on an A-4 size Norway sheet. You should also paste pictures along with the written points.
Subject: Social Science (Class - III)
During your vacation, you must have visited a place in India or abroad. Take your class friends on a visual journey to that place. Design a colourful travel brochure. Use an A-4 size Norway sheet. In the brochure, mention the details regarding your destination city :
· Name of the city
· Total number of hours taken to travel to the destination city from Amritsar
· Details of the destination :
a) Name of the country in which the city is located
b) Name of the Airport / Railway Station
c) Places of tourist interest
d) Heritage sites
e) Local cuisine
f) Climatic conditions
g) Traditional dress of men
h) Traditional dress of women
You must support the information with the pictures. Remember, the pictures should only show the landscapes/ tourist spots/ buildings (new buildings as well as heritage buildings). The pictures should not have your or your family members’ photographs.
Subject: Mathematics (Class - III)
· Attempt Summer Vacation Assignment sheet from pgs. 1 to 14.
· Learn tables from 2 to 15.
· Revise & do practice of multiplication, division, addition and subtraction in rough notebook. (refer worksheets & Maths assignment book)
Attempt the following activities in the space provided in the summer vacation assignment sheet.
Activity 1 : Cut out five Sudokus from the newspaper. Solve and paste them.
Activity 2 : Note down the temperature of any 5 consecutive days and encircle the
maximum and the minimum temperature.