Summer Vacation Assignment
(The Assignment is printed on both the sides of two pages)
Class : V (Session 2015-2016)
Summer Vacation has started and you must be ready for fun, frolic, getting up late in the morning, playing for long hours with friends, going for picnics, travelling and exploring new cities/ countries. Apart from this, it will be great if you are able to find time to visit museums & monuments, learn new things, explore new areas near your house, play indoor & outdoor games, read as many story books as you can, spend time with parents & grandparents, go for morning walk & play in your locality park in the evenings.
Children, you should be regular in reading books. Reading will not only help you become a better student, but a better person too. Remember, reading different types of books e.g. short stories/ fiction/ journeys/ autobiographies/ biographies etc. not only fill our mind with knowledge, but also inspire thought & reflection.
You must remember, the more you read, the more words you gain, which will inevitably make their way into your everyday vocabulary.
To enhance your General Awareness and information about the Current Affairs, you must read the newspaper daily and watch news on TV regularly.
Current Affairs will be discussed in the class after Summer Vacation. Also revise your General Awareness Sheets.
Read the stories from your Value Education book ‘Yes We Can’.
* Make a badge:
· You need a piece of cardboard, unused wrapping paper, sketch pens, glitter, glue and a pair of scissors.
· Take your parent’s help to cut out a disc from the cardboard. Cover it with the wrapping paper.
· Write any one value as ‘Help the needy’, ‘Care for the old’ etc on the disc.
· Decorate it with glitter.
You must wear this badge in the first week after the vacation is over.
Subject: English (Class - V)
· Read books of your choice and enrich your vocabulary for the Spell-Bee selection rounds.
· Make a word chain. The last two letters of the word should form the first two letters of the next word. For example : Metal – Almost – Stranger – Eruption and so on. Form a chain of 30 new words. Do this work on the single line sheets provided. The words should be as per your class level.
* Over a period of 1 month, collect at least 5 things that mean something special to you. The
things you collect could be anything for e.g. a ticket stub or an eraser that is shaped like your favourite super hero. Now, on an A-4 size Norway sheet, write down about each item you collected and state why it is special to you.
Subject: Science (Class - V)
Extravaganza of creative minds ………….
Only after the last tree has fallen, only after the last well has gone dry, shall we wake up to the challenge of the environment and strive our best?
On an A-4 size Norway sheet, make a colourful pictorial collage on the importance of healthy & clean environment. Also write your views on the different steps to be taken by the citizens to keep our city clean & green.
Subject: Social Science (Class - V)
On April 25, 2015 and on May 12, 2015, the mother nature sent a reminder to mankind as the Earthquake hit Nepal. At present the whole world is with Nepal and very soon Nepal will flourish again. Let’s create a brochure on the location, culture and people of Nepal on an A-4 size Norway sheet.
· Latitude and Longitude of Nepal.
· Lowest point of Nepal
· Highest point of Nepal
· Longest river of Nepal
· Biggest lake of Nepal
· Highest mountain peak of Nepal
· Capital of Nepal
· Which place in Nepal is regarded sacred in the Buddhist religion?
· Important cities of Nepal.
· What was the magnitude of the earthquake measured on the Richter Scale?
· How many lives have been lost in Nepal due to the Earthquake?
· Paste the pictures of Earthquake affected Nepal.
· What type of measures can be adopted by the people in our country, to ensure that in case of an earthquake the damage is very less? (Answer in 5 points).
Subject: Mathematics (Class - V)
· Attempt Summer Vacation Assignment given on pages 61 & 62 in Maths Note Book.
· Learn tables from 2 to 20
· Do practice of sums and brain teasers from the following chapters given in the Maths assignment book:
Ch-1 Numbers & Numeration, Ch-2 Four basic operations, Ch-3 Factors & Multiples, Ch -4 Fractions.
Attempt the following activities:
· Cut out five Sudokus from the newspaper. Paste them on an A-4 size Norway sheet and solve them.
· Get information on application of Maths in day to day life & write 10 to 12 lines about it on an A-4 size Norway sheet. You can also paste pictures related to the information.